Thursday, December 27, 2007

My first cheesecake...



Few month ago friends told me how cheesecakes were good, some even tried to give me recipes, but I was unable to try it since I don't have any oven and because cream cheese and graham crackers are not very common here.
A month ago I finally tasted my first cheesecake thanks to T&R who took me to the Cheesecake factory when I was visiting them at Palo Alto.
My very first cheesecake was interesting (I got a classical on) but not as much as the first one I made myself!!
In my cooking magazine (Cuisine & Vin de France, for whom wants to know) there as been a special issue on cheesecakes, so I was able to find the ingredients that can replace crackers (sprit or palets bretons) and cream cheese (StMoret).
After reading the cheesecake book recipe M bring here, we chosen to try the rum cheesecake. Maybe we should have divide the ingredients by 2... but this first trial is successful. Now the New year's ewe dessert might be a chestnut cheesecake; I'll let you know ;-)


Rum Cheesecake
Ingredients for 10-12 persons.
-Crumb crust :
200g biscuits (sprits)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon sugar
60g butter
100-150g chopped almonds

Filing
1 tablespoon gelatine (2g)
200g sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
250ml milk
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons rum
250g cream cheese (StMoret)
200g cream

Crumb crust
Cruch biscuits finely. Melt butter, add almonds and cook until it's lightly brown. Add other ingredients. Sprinkle half crumb mixture on the based of the pan, press firmly.

Filling
Separate eggs.
Mix gelatine, 3/4 of sugar and salt in a saucepan (low fire). Beat yolk and milk and add them in the pan. Stir over until gelatine dissolves and he mixture thicken. (If you used solid gelatine, add i after the milk). After 10 min (approx.), add lemon rind, juice and rum. Cool down.
Sieve cream cheese, beat until it smooth, stir in cooled mixture.
Beat egg whites until stiff, add gradually remaining sugar. Add in the custard mixture, then fold in whipped cream.
Pour into the pan, sprinkle with he rest of nut-crumb.
Smooh over with the back of a spoon. Refrigerate overnight.

1 comment:

Mags said...

That sounds a lot less work that I had ever imagined for a cheesecake!

I've often asked friends to make one if I'm wanting a homemade one, usually when there's a dinner party of course.