Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Christmast duck


When looking for something nice to eat for christmast I realize I might have a problem to prepare most of the traditional meals since I don't own an oven (but you already now that). So I read again my cooking magazine but was unable to find something interesting to bake. I needed something good, not too expensive and that I can prepare without an oven. All this constraints lead me to think about duck.
That would be duck!
I decided to prepare it with spices and some safran honey I bought few days before during an explorative walk around Paris. To go with the honey and spice duck, I prepared a sweet potatoes purée.

Ingredients for 2
1 duck breast (magrets)
15g fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon sugar
10cl balsamic vinegar
10cl soy sauce
5cl water
1 sweet potato
1 tablespoon (or 2) of cream
salt & pepper

Prepare a light brown caramel with the sugar and 2 teaspoon of water. Take of the oven and add the vinegar, soy sauce and water. Add grated ginger and spices.

Draw crosses on the skin of the duck with a sharp knife. Pour the spicy caramel on he duck, urn it several times until duck is completely covered. Cover and "forget in the fridge for few hours (2-4h).

For the purée : peal and cut the sweet potato in pieces. Bake in a saucepan of hot water for 30min. Mash the potato and add the cream, salt and pepper.

Cook the duck : warm a pan. Take the duck out of the marinade, put in the pan, skin side on the pan. Cook for 7min, high heat. Then remove the fat, and turn the duck breast. Add the marinade in the pan, cover and cook for 7min (middle heat).
When cooked, remove the duck from the pan and let it rest for 5min.
Add the honey in the pan and reduce.
Cut the duck breast in slices, pour the sauce on it and serve with the sweet potatoes purée.

1 comment:

Chloé said...

*drool*

bonne année à toi aussi !!