Friday, August 29, 2008

Looking the best way to prepare hummos... and failing(!)

I have to confess : I looove Lebanese meals. So when I discovered that hummos (or hommos or hummus or houmos, I can't find wich one it the right) was so easy to make I was really pleased.

The first recipe I tried was from a cooking mag : Cuisine et vins de France (actually the recipe that was in the printed document seems a bit different). But there was a je ne sais quoi that needed to be added or removed to reach the hummus perfection.

Then I tried the recipe that David Lebovitz posted but I didn't had all the ingredients since my parsley died unexpectidly in my fridge and I was unable to find the chili powder on the spices shelf. But it was close enough from the taste I was looking for.

Today I'm going to P & C place for a post holidays friend's dinner and I said I would bring some home-made hummus. So yesterday I went to the supermarket, bought some chickpeas and olive oil (and forgot the parsley again).

At home I mixed together 2 cloves of garlic (because some people there don't like garlic as I do), the olive oil, the chickpeas, the lemon juice. The taste was strange but I thought it was because of the new brand of chickpeas. So I rectified the seasoning, added a little more of lemon, oil, again lemon and find a taste that was satisfying... but still there was something strange...

This morning I almost forgot to take it out of the fridge, but when I did I realized what was strange : I forgot to add the tahine, one of the more important ingredients!!! It was too late to arrange it, so I packed my "chickpeas purée" and the tahine and I will try to mix them tonight just before dinner (crossing finger, hoping it will be good).

And that's the end of my terrible week...

EDIT : I finally had 2 or 3 tablespoons of tahine and it was good...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ouuups... good luck in correcting it with tahini addition!

some variation : david suggested chile powder but you can also try cayenne pepper or paprika and the likes...

another tips by a friend who's a chef in dubai : add a little ice cube while blending the chickpeas so the hummus will come out white and not darkened...

happy hummus-ing!

Anne said...

thanks for the tips.
Actually I tried with paprika already. And it's good too :-).

I don't really have the problem of a dark hummus... maybe the lemmon juice I use is eniough. But I might try that next time... if I don't forgot to put chickpeas in ;-)

Chloé said...

yummy yummy hummus :D

Anonymous said...

hehehe, to forget chickpeas - highly unlikely... ;)