Monday, June 30, 2008

Introducing agar agar


When Anelore gave me this set of spoon I was a bit surprised by the 1/4 of teaspoon that came with it. I never saw a recipe using so few ingredient. Yesterday evening was the 1st time I used it.

On my way from lab to home are a few "organic shops" and I sometimes stop bye to buy some thing I cannot find easily elsewhere like tahina (to make hummus) and I usually use my visit to the shop to try some "exotic" things.

Last time I went there I bought 2 individual drinks : one made of rice, the second made of hazelnuts. I also took some agar-agar because I heard about it...

The idea to cook with agar-agar was strange since the only time I ever used it was in biology courses... For this second experimentation with agar-agar I thought I should use it to prepare a dessert in combination with the hazelnut drink.


Hazelnut surprise cream

Ingredients (for 2 desserts - yogourt size)

-20cl hazelnut drink
-1/4 teaspoon of agar agar (~1g)

The recipe was very simple : open the drink box, put it in a saucepan, add the agar and boil for 30s... that cannot be easier!

That wouldn't have been a real dessert : too pale, no surprises... so let's add a little fun to that cream.
I made 2 versions:

Apricot : cut into small squares 3 dryed apricot. Pour the liquid over it. Cool down for 2 hours.

Dulce de leche : spread 2 teaspoons of dulce de leche in a little pot, pour the hazelnut cream over it. Cool down for 2 hours.

As a toping I used grated almonds...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting way to use agar-agar... i normally just use them to make jelly, so agar-agar + water + sugar + fruits... then again i don't use powder, i use agar-agar sheets...

Anne said...

yeah I know it's the most common way to use it, but actually I don't like jelly...
The cream has a texture a bit like "crême aux oeufs" and next time I will try to use less agar to see if I can obtain a smouthier texture.